The MotoLab Cyclone FC uses the STM32F3 CPU with ARM-Cortex M4 core and floating-point coprocessor for more efficient execution of fast-looptime control algorithms. The low-noise InvenSense MPU-6000 gyroscope/accelerometer is connected over the SPI bus for faster acquisition of gyro data.
Because of the F3 MCU and MPU-6000, you can run the Betaflight firmware on the Cyclone and have gyro sync at 2KHz. This should result in a greater flight performance.
The integrated 5V 600mA voltage regulator allows you to power the flight controller directly from 2-6S LiPo battery, as well as your receiver.
Designed for acro and FPV racing, this board provides the most-needed features in a compact and practical form factor, on a 38x38mm board compatible with 30 or 30.5mm mounting hole spacing.
This board is compatible with the recent revisions of Cleanflight and Betaflight firmware, using the MOTOLAB target files. The PWM outputs are bidirectional, and the board is compatible with BLHeli ESC passthrough programming through the USB port using recent versions of BLHeliSuite, allowing you to flash your BLHeli ESCs, while connected to the flight controller. Additional the Cyclone has 3 hardware UART ports, onboard 5V/12V buzzer driver and serial LED interface.
- An on-board 600mA switching regulator for direct connection to lipos up to 4S, or up to 6S with power filtering
- USB interface independent of UART channels
- Three hardware UARTs. The UART 2 TxD signal is also pinned out to a connector
- Reverse current protection on lipo and USB inputs for problem-free ESC calibration
- Dedicated serial LED output with lipo voltage and GND
- On-board buzzer driver with 5V and lipo voltage option
- Built-in VBAT monitor with low-pass filter from lipo input
- Built-in RSSI monitor with low-pass filter
- Dedicated SAT receiver interface with 3.3v using JST connector for compatibility with Spektrum/LemonRC cables
- Dedicated PPM and serial receiver interfaces with 5V power using 0.1" headers
- Compatibility with receivers using Spektrum 1024/2048, SBUS, SumD and SumH receivers with built-in inverter
- High-quality gold plated 4-layer printed circuit board
- Connector arrangement for convenient access to serial interfaces, with PWM and other device connections on sturdy through-hole pin headers
Supported Receiver types:
NOTE: S.Port is bidirectional on one wire and cannot share a UART with SBUS. Connect S.Port to either UART 1 or 3.
There are three separate power rails on the board.
Lipo voltage - Connected to a resistor network for VBAT monitoring.
5V - Connected 5V PWM buffer, and external device interfaces including the SBUS and PPM receivers, 5V buzzer, serial LED and RSSI.
3.3V - Powers the CPU and gyro chip as well as the external DSM2/DSMX receiver on the SAT connector.
Pins marked "B" are LIPO voltage. The LIPO IN pins are connected internally to the VBAT monitor.
The LIPO "B" and "V" pins have reverse-current blocking diodes to prevent powering ESCs from USB power.
Pins marked "V" are +5V ONLY. Do not connect anything over 5V to these pins.
All of the numbered pins are PWM outputs.
SAT RX and SBUS use UART 2.
The "S" pin on the buzzer connection is the switched ground. Connect the (+) pin of the buzzer to either the lipo "B" or 5V "V" pin, and the (-) pin to "S".
Cleanflight and Betaflight can send Smartport telemetry to the FrSky X-series receivers over a single wire. Connect TXOUT from either serial port to the S.PORT pin on the receiver. It only takes one wire because the ground connection is already made with the SBUS cable. The voltage divider for lipo monitoring is built into the Cyclone.
To enable lipo monitoring over Smartport:
Enable VBAT and Telemetry on the Config tab
Select Telemetry -> SmartPort and AUTO on the ports tab
Set telemetry_inversion=on in CLI (This is the default in later firmware)
The lipo voltage shows up in OpenTX as VFAS. The most useful telemetry parameters seem to be VFAS, RSSI, and RxBt (receiver input voltage).
Technical Support Thread
Setup and debugging issues can be discussed on this thread:
New Firmware Installation
The procedures for firmware installation are documented in this post:
- 1 x MotoLab Cyclone STM32F3 V1.2 Flight Controller
NOTE: The Cyclone does not come with pins or other accessories to keep the cost down if you don't require them, these must be purchased separately (Header pins, JST-SH pigtails and Spektrum satellite connectors)